Sunday, November 9, 2008

Veteran's Day 10k

In four years at Tufts I was all-NESCAC each year. However, I never made the first team. I was 11th as a freshman, 12th as a sophomore, 8th as a junior, and then finally 9th as a senior. As a freshman I was happy with my performance, the other three years I left my conference championship disappointed. Perhaps the most disappointing of the four was my senior year when I went from being in 3rd place with 1k to go (and moving well) to 9th place at the finish line. To make a long story short as poorly as I ended up running over the last 1000m of the race I still had a great shot at getting my first first-team all-NESCAC. With approximately 300m remaining I was dry-heaving and wobbling towards the line. As a few dudes started to ghost me like Patrick Swayze (including my own teammate Matthew Lacey) I was holding on to 7th place (the last spot). As I willed my failing body (the only time in my entire life this has happened) closer to the finish I could taste first-team. Then I heaved one last time and out of the corner of my eye I watched two of my teammates fly by me right before the line. Josh Kennedy who had finished 7th the year before and Brian McNamara (my roommate for 3 years) shattered my dream of first-team success. Granted, our team ended up winning the meet as we had four guys in the top nine, but I was a little down about it. Yet afterwards, Kennedy and Mac were laughing it up having realized the situation during the final stretch. They knew, yet they did it anyway. No hard feelings though, they did what they had to do.

So, I tell this story because this was pretty much my race today at the Veteran's Day 10k. Will Viviani and I led a great pack of two other Pacer teammates (Bert Rodriguez and Steve Mance) through about 5k, and then all three ended up out classing me in the final 1000m of the race. (However, to his credit Bert ran a pretty gutsy race as he got a few seconds on Will and I at about 4-4.5 miles. Also Mance died in the fifth mile and then came back to life in the sixth which was also pretty awesome.) So this race was basically a team time trial, as we passed only one guy the entire way. Needless to say, the four man pack was a dominating force.

I got off the line really smooth and strong as we supposedly went through the mile in about 4:48. I say supposedly because we also supposedly went through the second mile in 5:12. Something tells me the marker was a little off. Ahead of our pack was a group of foreign friends and our other teammate Steve Crane. They were on pace to break 15 through the 5k so we let them go early. Other than that we were chasing Wilson Komen from Georgetown Running Company (who fell off the aforementioned lead pack) and we never quite closed the gap. So I maintained the lead of our tight pack until just after 5k. Then Bert started getting in on the lead action. From that point until about 4.5-5 there was a lot of lead changing in the group. I think we all grabbed the lead for at least a few strides.

Finally Bert got a few seconds on Will and I, and Mance started to fade a little during the fifth mile. The worst thing about running with these guys late is that they are all faster over the shorter distances than yours truly. So, I knew that even if I got a stride or two on either of them I was screwed. Regardless, I continued to trade mini-moves with Will as we sat about five seconds behind Bert for most of the fifth and sixth miles. As we neared the six mile mark Bert got a few more seconds, Will passed me for good and got a few strides on me, and then back from the dead comes Steve Mance. The photo below shows exactly how it went down. I am the guy presumably in third.

So, four guys from my team got me (the three in the picture plus Steve Crane), which is actually pretty awesome. I ended up 7th overall in a time of 31:33 after a few foreign friends dropped out and two were disqaulified. Don't ask me what happened because I have no idea.

Overall this was a solid effort after my biggest two weeks in over five years. I felt strong today but by no means fresh. I had a little bounce at the beginning but got sluggish towards the end. I am confident that I can run faster with a little rest, and that come January I will run two faster back-t0-back.

No comments: