Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Can't Use the Crutch

Last week was another good week, best so far since the marathon. It's funny, that is how I have been measuring things as of late. My writing most often features the phrase "since the marathon." I am not exactly sure what this means, but I think it's a crutch. Saying it or writing it gives me a way out, an excuse. Almost as though I am waiting for some bit of running enlightenment. However, let me assure you (as I am sure you already know), there are no miracles in running. Only opportunity and preparation meeting, then deciding they want to hook up with success. It's a little like that new New Balance commercial, but I like the way I said it better. I can't take all the credit though. Connie Putnam and Ethan Barron tried to drill this in to my head over four years at Tufts. Too bad I didn't listen.

No more, "since the marathon."

I took this week off from racing, as I drove home to New Hampshire on Saturday. The trip was not great this time around, as everyone decided to drive north that day. Traffic jam after traffic jam killed my spirits, especially in New York. (On a side note I listened to National League baseball on the way home, Braves vs Brewers. For all you AL fans out there, trust me, this was no thrill.) However, I made it home without incident, stopping only once. That stop was in Massachusetts for gas and ice cream. Not bad if you ask me.

If you haven't run today, get out the door when you can. Can't use the crutch.

July 27th - August 2nd

Sun: 17 miles, this after a race again, however I felt much better and the weather was a little cooler this time, humidity is a killer though, stay hydrated
Mon: 10.5 miles, humid run, tired
Tue: 10.5 miles, easy, felt terrible
Wed: 13.5 miles total, workout @ 7am, 12x1000 in 3:05-07, 80 sec rest, humid as can be, I sweat the weight of gatorade jug out there, good workout though, stayed strong throughout
Thur: 10.5 miles, easy
Fri: 10 miles total, 2.5 easy out to Gilman School track in Baltimore, then 8k in 27:56 (6:08, 5:54, 5:37, 5:19, 4:56), 2.5 easy on the other side, nice little excercise, felt strong
Sat: 10 miles, easy (then I drove home 9 hours)
Total: 82 Miles

2 comments:

Rich said...

I am definitely on the same page about the "since the marathon" qualifier. I need to have a good race since the marathon in order to fully leave it behind I think. I would love if that weren't true. But it looks as if you are having some strong workouts, marathon or no.

Nate said...

Rich, you just need more hammering around Glover Park.......let me know, I'm always game.....