Monday, January 14, 2008

2008 Has Beens Preview

Tufts Alumni have traditionally stayed in shape. In the past they could always be counted on for the occasional scare at the Alumni Run each Fall, and perhaps a thought or two at an indoor meet as an unattached runner. In fact, Alumni Run 2002 saw the Alumni beat the undergraduate team at what is now now known as the Alumni Massacre. As a member of that under-manned team I thought it was a freak occurrence. However, I was wrong. It seems as though the fruits of Tufts XC recruiting haul over the past 5-10 years are starting to ripen for a new team, Team Alumni. Never before has the mid-winter classic, the Has Beens Mile been, met with such anticipation. Why, you ask? Because this time, the Alumni have the goods. This time the Alumni are the balls. This time the Alumni just might be better than the actual team.

On the heels of our victory at the 2007 Alumni Run, we are ushering in a new era for Tufts. An era when even a nationally ranked team cannot defeat its own legendary past. The best part is we will be welcoming new studs each year. Talk about a premier feeder program. Recently a strong Alumni squad has added the likes of Myself, Matt Lacey, Josh Kennedy, Brian McNamara, Mike Don, and Justin Lewis.......the list goes on and on. Consider that the Alumni Track meet held this weekend that both the mile and two mile were won by Tufts Alumni. Consider that the top 3k time over the past two years was run by Matt Lacey at a BU mini Meet. Consider that of all the races this Saturday everyone will be watching the Has Beens Mile.

Now, let's get on with the predictions. I am going to write this similar to Bill Simmons and his rankings for the NFL. I will use some sports references and I may say a few ridiculous things. Please remember this is all in fun and I love you all. Really.

The "Old School" Group:

Jason Burke, Steve Kaye, Matt Lyons, Ethan Danahy, and Rod Hemingway
I know Jason Burke can probably smoke us all at the marathon any day, but I have never seen him show up to this mile. The others, although great in their day, are not ready for the speed that awaits this Saturday. I want to make sure I give credit to those who built the foundation, so to the Old School, you guys are awesome.

The Ann Arbor group

Matt Greenhawt
"Still cashing checks his body can't write, and happily ducking this event for the 10th consecutive year." - (his words)

The "I've got kids" Group:

Justin Lewis
I am not sure an explanation is necessary, but he is a legend.

The "As Clutch as Tom Brady" Group:

Matt Theodoros
I tell people all the time that there are two people I am scared to death of, one is Shug Knight the other is Gary Sheffield. In the same respect there are two people I would trust my life with if I were on the Titanic and it was sinking, Tom Brady and Matt Theodoros. You know both are coming out on top.

The "Wild-Cards" Group:

Neil Orfield and Kyle Doran
These guys would make it interesting if they actually planned to race. As far as I know Doran is chilling with the Duke Lacrosse team and Orfield is still trying to sell a Jim Rice baseball card to a blind kid on Ebay.

The "They're still smarter" Group:

John Murphy and Dan Barry
Did I just write that?

The "Righteous" Group:

Peter Bromka and Zachary Chrisco
Still celebrating the World Series victory. Check in next year.

The "What if they showed up" Group:


Ben Smith, J.R. Cruz, and Lauren Caputo
A great group of people and an amazing group of runners. Under no circumstances am I going to count out my mentors Cruz and Smith. Unless of course it comes to picking movies, in which case Ben "I think Crash is terrible" Smith might have to take back seat. (For the record Crash won the Academy Award for best picture) As for Caputo, ask JLew.

The "It's too bad he isn't healthy" Group:

Aaron Kaye
Last year's runner-up and arguably the best long-middle distance* runner in Tufts history. One thing is for sure you might want him as a roommate but you don't want him hanging around down the stretch of a mile. *(1000/1200m distances)

The "I almost forgot he graduated" Group:

Josh Kennedy
He probably won't take this seriously, but what if he did? WHAT IF HE DID?

The "I have no idea what they are capable of" Group:

Mike Don, Slams, and Mike Cummings
Each of these guys put up some times over the winter break. Each of these guys is tough and they all live together. Personally, I think they might be planning a group attack with Neil Orfield. It makes too much sense at this point. Out of the group I give Mike Don the nod, he is still a stud.

The "200m to go and you better have a gap on them" Group:

Adam Sharp and Matt Fortin
Although some will maintain that Adam Sharp's kick is not what it used to be, I am still a believer. I have seen him ghost too many people over the years to take him lightly. Fortin, yeah, you all remember him, he's fresh this weekend. The point is, don't let this thing go out in 3:30 for the 1200.

4.) The "Contenders" Group:

Andy Bonventre
Having made huge strides (literally and figuratively), Andy Bons is ready to compete with some elite Alumni talent. Having run 4:24 as recent as last week, he is poised to give the top group a run. Ultimately Bons is talented enough to win this race, and capable of mixing it up at the front. His best race is a fast even split one where his exceptional speed comes into play late. Unfortunately a seasoned field and traditionally uneven race do not bode well for his victory chances. He might be the second best miler in the field, but not on this day.

3.) The "I am a 10k Runner" Group:

Nate Brigham
I had a great 2007 with the exception of October. I am definitely stronger, and with a bunch of good races on the roads more confident. I think I can win Saturday, but with the way I see the race playing out, it isn't likely. I have the strength to hang until the last lap but lack the top end speed of others. It will be interesting to see what I can do in a fresh mile, but I keep remembering 2006 when I was out maneuvered by:

2.) The "Call Me the New York Giants" Group:

Brian McNamara
No one doubts his talent, but did anyone see this coming? He has put together a good series of races for a moderate training log. Workouts and indoor air exposure are huge pluses for this law student. He might not have the most fitness, but for the mile he is money. I would pick him to win this strategic race, except for.....

1.) The Juggernaut:

Matt Lacey
I saw the 8:28 a few weeks ago, it was awesome. I know I am not ready to run that fast and neither is anyone else. He may not have some of the leg speed of Bons and Mac, but he will attempt to out grind us all. I may be the one who lasts longest with him, but ultimately that will leave me as prey for a fast finishing McNamara. Once again Lacey is the class of the Alumni team, but this time he will show it. Lacey has worked hard and he will race hard this Saturday.

7 comments:

Alex Bloom said...

What about the x-factor: Kyle Doran? I'm not saying he's in shape, but what if he is? WHAT IF HE IS?

Aaron Kaye said...

As long as we're playing the What If Game, can I include some names that are out there. Like how about Has Been Dave Patterson? Or Mark Herlihy? Or maybe former Jumbo Jen Toomey. I'm pretty sure she could hang.

Andy Bons said...

Asked Toomey if she wanted to join. She's already signed up for a GBTC invite on Sunday. Boo.

Unknown said...

Two oversights on the best middle distance runners of all time:

Mike Northrop and James Lavalle

I wish you all had a chance to see these guys run. They were two of the best in the country from 92-96 for Lavalle and 93-97 for Northrop. Both were all americans and qualified in multiple events for nationals in their time.

Aaron gets points for recognizing Mark Herlihey.

Nate said...

What do you call the best 1000/1200m runner I have ever seen in a Tufts uniform? Suggestions????????? I call him AOK.

Nate said...

MSG says:

MSG sent me this and says:

Gents – Glad to see that the Dewick post-dinner ‘what if?’ conversations continue in blog form. Any number of greats are missing from this list, including the all-time greatest unknown Sean Aaronson. The more interesting bet is also the race to not be last.

mikedon said...

There was an MSG sighting last night in dreamland. He was spotted wearing a black sweat suit and was doing striders down the hallway of an old academic building - perhaps Barnum. Anyway, rumor has it he was looking fit as ever, and was clocked traveling at up to speeds of near 16 miles per hour. My prediction is that if MSG shows up, he gets the easy win. If not, someone else will win, probably a human being of the male variety.