Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Making My Way Back to Workouts

So another two (plus) great weeks of training have gone by since my last post. After my initial four weeks I figured I was ready to step back on the track for some work. Like the rest of my training I eased into it by starting with workouts I knew I could handle. Here is what the last two weeks (before this week have looked like.

June 22-28
Sun: 16 with Pacer guys, most of this run was at a really good clip, last few miles I started to run out of gas and coasted in. Never felt particularly comfortable, but oh well.
Mon: Easy 10, changed shoes to Brooks Defyance
Tue: Easy 10
Wed: 8 miles, really hot out
Thur: 10.5 total, workout, felt ok/good today, rhythm is still a little off out there, 12x400 w/ 90 sec rest (includes 200m jog) [73,73,74,73,73,74,74,73,73,74,74,72], 3 miles on both sides
Fri: 10 miles
Saturday: 9.5 miles
Total: 74 Miles

June 29 - July 5
Sun: 15 with Pacer guys again, got moving pretty quickly along the canal, 1:35:30 on the total time, last few miles were at a "good" clip but this time I was able to respond a little better.
Monday: Easy 10
Tuesday: Easy 10
Wednesday: 12 total, 3 miles warm up, then 8x800 (2:27-2:30) w/2 minutes rest (400m jog), 3 miles cool down, felt ok out there, could have done more but kept it real.
Thursday: Easy 10, felt terrible.
Friday: 10.5, legs were a wreck, tired and overall not good.
Saturday: 10 miles, 5 easy miles with Em, then five by myself, good way to end the week as I felt pretty crappy after the workout.
Total: 77.5 Miles

So the jump in mileage would explain why I felt so crappy at the end of the week, but what I didn't mention was that work was also pretty tough. My sleep patterns were off, work was stressful, and overall I didn't really want to run last week. Although I put up a good number, make no mistake, it wasn't a great week feeling-wise. Running is not glamorous and it isn't about the numbers for me. At this point I want to get stronger, and sometimes it is going to be tough. Last week was about fighting through some of the tiredness to move back into a routine. Overall, mission accomplished.

So far, this week is going well, I'll update on Sunday with the details.

No comments: