Sunday, September 21, 2008

1:06:56


Saying that my half-marathon went well could be the understatement of the year. If you are wondering what I felt like at the finish line, watch this video (yes, it's safe for work, and on a completely separate note, for those of you that think that stupid Giant/Patriots Superbowl was the best ever, just remember who invented the "us against the world" attitude).

So here were my different levels of expectations for the race, this should really put it into perspective for anyone reading:

LEVEL1 - 1:11:04 was my PR, set over a year ago at the New Bedford 1/2 in the freezing cold Massachusetts air. So my first expectation was that I was going to PR, this was not going to be a problem, unless I tanked or dropped out.

LEVEL 2 - My "I ran well" goal was to run 1:09:??. I hadn't felt well for a while, so I backed off my expectations. I thought that if I shot for 1:09 I would at least break 1:10 and maintain some respectability.

LEVEL 3 - My "Best Race" goal was anything under 1:09 all the way to 1:08:00. I didn't really know if this was possible, but I held out hope.

LEVEL 4 - My "Body was kidnapped and replaced by someone else" goal was anything just under 1:08. I mean I would have been pretty pumped with a time that was over three minutes faster than my PR.

LEVEL 5 - My "non-existent" goal was low 1:07's. I didn't really think much about this before the race, so it was kind of out of the question.

LEVEL 6 - My "I use fabric softener but I'm not soft" goal was breaking 1:07. I wouldn't have believed this if you had told me before hand.

However, something happened this week. After a month of not feeling well and finishing my workouts like crap something changed; I had a good day. To be honest, it was expected. I had been following a taper plan, but with less than a week I was still worried. Before I get into the days leading up to the race, let's go back to the race report.

So, I arrived in Philadelphia mid afternoon on Saturday and grabbed a late lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. Yes, this felt pretty touristy but I really didn't care. I was glad to be eating and we were across the street from our hotel. At 5:00 we had a technical meeting where I saw a bunch of people that I have only seen in results or photos. In other words, these were fast people. As I walked in the race people wanted my head-shot in case I placed as one of the top Americans. I was a little embarrassed, as I did not figure to be among that group on even my best day. Still, I did what they asked and sat through all of the rules.

After the meeting Robbie Wade and I went back to our room and watched the Wicker Man on HBO. At some point we got hungry because we skipped the pasta dinner at the elite athletes meeting. (Wait, did you notice what I just wrote? Yeah, we watched the Wicker Man. Yeah, it was messed up. Maybe not the best choice for a pre-race movie) So, we wandered around the streets around our hotel until we found a COSI, where I was able to get a sandwich. (FYI, Philadelphia has a lot weird smells and isn't really my kind of town.) Then after a little American Gangster on HBO, a hot shower, and some stretching it was time for bed.

5:00 am wake up! Actually, it wasn't that exciting. I got my gear on, grabbed some breakfast at the elite athlete room and got on a bus to the line. At the line the people from ING had us all set up with our own tent. There was a ton of food and our own private bathrooms. Ok, fast forward through a short two mile warm up, nipple band-aids, and some vasoline and we are at the start. I did a few striders but with all of the people flying around it was tough to get good ones in. At the line I got right up front and stood next to my teammate Steve Crane, who was standing next to Catherine Ndereba (2008 Olympic Marathon Silver Medalist). They do the anthem, life is good, and I wonder how I will feel out there.

So, bam, the gun goes off and within 200m I knew it. All of the problems with my legs were gone, and I was smooth. Today was going to be a good day, how good was next on the agenda? My first mile was done on feel, so depending on the split I was going to decide my plan of attack. Click, 4:59 for the first mile. This was a best case scenario. Our friends for Africa had taken off and were trying to run 61 minutes, but some of us Americans were content with 5 minute pace. So, I went all in. Yup, a mile into the race. I abandoned my stitched together plan of running a conservative 5:10ish per mile race and packed up with three dudes. So at two miles, I was 10:04 and it was me, two Philly guys, and Robbie. Perfect pack. At four I was still feeling it, as I went through in 20:18. The fifth mile was really messed up, but I remember one of the guys (later identified as Ross Martinson) asking if we were game for 5:00-5:05 per mile. I said "yeah...........as long as I can."

At this point we started to drop Robbie a little, but I had no idea that at 6 miles he would actually drop out of the race. I went through 10k in 31:29, a lot faster than I had envisioned myself running, still I felt good. It wasn't until 8 miles that I really started thinking about my PR for 10 miles (which was a great race for me). At that point I had dropped both of the Philly guys, and felt pretty good about my chances. As I neared the 10 mile mark I couldn't quite put away Ross Martinson. I attempted a few surges, but he hung in there. Still, at 10 miles I PR'd in 50:53. This was awesome, I started adding it up in my head and I realized that I was running the race of my life. Granted, I slowed down a little, but I was still ok. I thought about running 1:07 low, and I made the commitment to finish strong.

In the last three to four miles I started coming up some dudes including Andrew Letherby (someone a lot faster than me) and a few Kenyans. At this point I had my own camera guy on a motorcycle shooting me, just me. I was in shock and convinced myself that the lead master must have been right behind me and they were getting the wide angle. Nope, I just keep rolling and passing dudes.

Wow, did I have balls out there. Too bad I didn't have the legs to match it over the last mile or so, I just sort of ran out of gas. So Martinson and Letherby both got by me again, but I was still ok. It was all gravy, because hey I was through 20k in 1:03:24 and heading for a huge PR. I kicked around the final turn, taking it way too wide, but all I saw was the clock. I had a chance at going under 1:07. In a fury of 70 second quarter speed I willed my body to the line. I looked up and I was under. 1:06:56. Fist pump.

This was the best race of my life. If you line up all of my PR's, this one is far and away my best. It was just so un-real, and I am still in a pretty big state of shock. I was so pumped I did two short cool downs and even jogged up the Rocky steps. Yes, it was just one of those days. I ended up 17th overall and was 3rd among Americans. So, I guess the head-shot came in handy after all.

I am pretty tired of writing so I'll wait a day to post about my previous week. Wish the Patriots had won today, but hey, still a good day.

6 comments:

Pete Rodrigues said...

nate,

congrats on a fantastic run. knew you had it in you. enjoying the blog.

pete

Aaron Kaye said...

Nice work Nate, awesome run.

KLIM said...

Awesome Nate. Glad to see you run so well!!

Caitlyn Clark said...

I just learned about your amazing performance from your sisters blog.

Holy Sh****t!
Congrats!!!

-Caitlyn

BTB said...

Well done!

Alex Bloom said...

congrats on a great run. good things happen in philly. and yes, there are tons of strange smells.

bloom