Thursday, September 25, 2008

This changes everything? Probably not...

So, I am a few days removed from the half and still on cloud nine. I have done a lot of reflecting about how this all happened and here are few things I realized:

*Stretching was/is huge. Most of you that know me, know I don't stretch. Well, the whole week leading up to the race I stretched for at least 20 minutes each day. This must have caught my body by complete surprise and worked wonders. This has convinced me to start stretching full time.

*Cookies are great, but poisonous. With two and half weeks to go I made changes in my diet. I cut out most of the sweets I usually like to eat and increased my vegetable/fruit count. I was by no means perfect, as my girlfriend and I downed some Jelly Belly's and Snow Caps one weekend, but I really cut back. I held off on my Z-Burger trip until after the half, and let me tell you, it was awesome. But seriously, I have been eating really well the last couple of weeks. I am going to continue the trend, but it won't be easy. I love chocolate.

*The taper was perfect. On Labor Day weekend I was absolutely toast. I hadn't had a "full" good workout since August 6th. I had run two sub-par 5k's (Cigna 5k in Manchester and Alumni Run) and felt like crap. After hitting rock bottom with a 16:22 at Alumni Run I started my taper a week early, making it a three week plan. I was extremely nervous, but ready to try anything. For the next two and a half weeks I struggled. I was running six miles almost every day and all I hoped for was a spark. I had two workouts, one a complete disaster. Yet, through all of this I stuck with the taper plan. Really I had no choice, but as I neared the race I knew I couldn't feel awful forever. Then, when I needed it most, I started to come out of it. With exactly a week to go I had an "average" run, this led to an "ok" run, which led to a "good run". (If you're counting at home we are on the Wednesday before) So with a good run under my belt (the first in weeks), I had a decision to make. Would I workout one last time or not? I decided to push my luck and went for it. My game time decision of a 2 Mile in 10:15 followed by 5x400 in 70 (w/ 35 sec rest) was exactly what I needed. I felt smooth, confident, and had more in the tank. At that point anything was possible, but I kept my expectations reasonable.

*Head games were not a problem. I had an inner confidence last weekend that I haven't had in years. I think the last time I felt it was indoor track of 2004. On Sunday I had no idea what I was capable of but I knew I could run well. I had done the long runs, the workouts, and the running in the heat; I deserved to run well. All of the negativity I had felt just a week before wasn't there. I believed that I had earned it even before I started the race. The best part of it is, for the first time in a long time (maybe high school), I "still" believe I earned that race on Sunday. And you see, that is the hardest part for me. I have a hard time recognizing my good races for what they are.........accomplishments. I always find some way to rationalize every performance or attribute it to something. My 11th place finish at 2002 DIII XC Nats, that was because the race was slow. My 14:31 at the opening meet of my senior outdoor season, I was lucky. My 30:14 at Penn, I had fast people to run with. But in reality, I ran those races, I had earned them. Sorry for the philosophical rant, but it feels good to be working past all of that. I am not out of the woods yet, but I am making progress.

So, here I am, with a new PR, a big PR, a really good PR, now what do I do? Well, I am going to run the Army 10-miler next weekend (Oct 5th), take a week off/really easy, then re-evaluate my short-term goals a little. I know that the little things (stretching, diet, recovery, etc.) are important. I think I am finally ready to start paying more attention to them. There is more work to be done and I look forward to it. I am still the same person, a skinny kid with marginal leg speed...........but I just happen to have a new PR and a little more confidence too.

Here is the week leading up the 1/2:

Week: 09/14 - 09/20
Week Miles: 46
46
Saturday took the day off before the race, not a terrible idea, needed the rest 0
Friday felt ok again, had my moments, overall not too bad 6
Thursday easy 6, felt ok out there but not great 6
Wednesday 3 up, 2 mile in 10:15 (5:07, 5:07), about 2 minutes rest, 5x400 in 69 with 35 sec rest, 3 miles down, felt good today 9
Tuesday best run I have had in weeks, control was good, felt smooth
6
Monday easy 8, felt ok out there today, showing signs of life 8
Sunday easy run with it's moments, felt average out there, but not great, really warm outside.
11

No comments: